Rangers Win the Scottish Cup Final

The 2009 Scottish Cup Final was contested today in the blistering heat of Hampden between, SPL Winners, Rangers and Falkirk.

Both teams started the match on a high after events of last weekend which saw Rangers lift the SPL title and Falkirk beating Inverness Caledonian Thistle on the last day of the league season but it was Rangers who captured the title. With pitch temperatures tipping over 35 degrees, dehydration was a serious concern for both teams as they played a physical Scottish Cup Final game. 

The first half was dominated by the under-dogs Falkirk as the favourites Rangers struggled a little and didn't gel as a team.  Falkirk were relishing the fact and had a few on-target near misses, McCann finding space on numerous occasions but they were struggling to find the back of the net.

Half time saw the teams leave the sweltering heat drawing 0-0.

Half time saw Rangers boss Walter Smith, replacing Kris Boyd for Nacho Novo with Boyd complaining about the heat.  It took only 38 seconds of Novo being on the park to turn the game around when he unleashed a screamer into the Falkirk net.

Falkirk kept the pressure on though and were unlucky with a goal disallowed, due to offside, in the 75th minute.  However, with all Falkikr's substitutes on the pitch, they were still starting to tire with the heat and there were no fresh legs to bring onto the Hampden turf. 

The 79th minute saw Falkirks best chance of the game so far when Finnigan pounced on a loose ball and took his chances but in the end the ball slid wide. 

Falkirk continued to put pressure on Rangers for the rest of the match but were continually denied the chance to equalise and so the game ended 1-0 and Rangers celebrated the double with the SPL as well as the Scottish Cup under their belts in the past two weeks.

A triumphant win for Rangers but a great match for Falkirk where they can take pride in being the better team on the day who were, unfortunate not to have slotted home at least one goal.