Celtic Victorious in CIS Cup Final

After a slow start to the game Celtic took the upper hand in the first 45 minutes making some opportunities but they weren't able to capitalise on them.  Both teams, however, had some decent chances and it was a deserved result so far.

The second half of the 90 minutes saw an increased determination from both sides with the first part of the second half giving Rangers the edge over Celtic but by the end of the 90 minutes both teams were fairly evenly matched. 

The full 90 minutes resulted with both teams failing to score and we were into extra time with a goalless draw.  With another half an hour of play looming and some obviously tired legs starting to be dragged around Hampden, it looked like a goal or two would indeed be the order of the day.  Starting extra time Celtic had two remaining substitutions to be made, with Rangers only one.  Would the tiredness creeping into the players give Celtic the edge with two sets of fresh legs waiting to join in? 

It didn't take long, after only 1 minute of the extra 30, Celtic's O'Dea collected a free-kick delivery from Nakamura and sent a looping header over McGregor to make it 1-0 for the Hoops.

The 94th minutes saw a near miss from Samaras that ended up smashed over the crossbar but Weir and Broadfoot for Rangers were all over the place and relentlessly Celtic continued to pile on the pressure.  This continued for the first full 15 minutes of extra time making things look slightly bleak for Rangers.

The second half started with O'Dea, Celtic's goalscorer off and Wilson on as his replacement.  Presumably, O'Dea must've taken a knock towards the latter part of the first half. 

Rangers started well with Novo producing a great turn on Loovens in the Celtic box but before he can capitalise on it, he slips and it went out for a throw. 

However, apart from a few chances from Rangers an increasingly confident Celtic controlled the remainder of the match.  It was in the 120th minute of the match that the game was finally put to bed when McGeady on a counter down the left of the pitch raced into the Rangers penalty box but was brought down by Broadfoot, giving Celtic a penalty.  Broadfoot was sent off and Celtic went 2-0 up with only seconds left to play.

Celtic claimed the victory and  the CIS Cup Final trophy in an exciting Old Firm match.